Sunday, May 1, 2011

Personal Narrative #3

Jane Frye

I am constantly at the receiving end of my siblings’ jokes, so I make sure to think about what I am going to say before I say it, or at least look it up on Google. When I am not careful, however, there is, without fail, a quick jab in response to my comment. Anna, Lucy, and Max, my three siblings, occasionally slip a dense comment, but no matter how hard I try no one joins in when I try to tease them. They say they only gang up on me because I am easy to make fun of, so most of the time I just try to ignore them because, according to them, my behavior invites their jokes. Many of their taunts stem from a statement I repeated over and over in angst one summer, “someone stole it!”

During New Bedford’s three-day regatta the confusion of lifejackets, sails, lines, soggy and burnt sailors consumed my mind, leaving no room for the little things, my iPod being one of them. Temper Trap, Pearl Jam, and Nicki Minaj were far from my mind. When the regatta was all over I decided to go on a run to clear my mind of my poor performance. I could not wait to sweat out my frustration to my “work out” playlists but my iPod was nowhere to be found. After searching for what seemed like hours I gave up and went on a run anyway. Without my iPod, I could hear every step and every breath, which quickly turned into a pattern that drove me crazy due to my already present aggravation. Before going to New Bedford I was in training for the up coming cross-country season. After losing my iPod, however, I rarely went on runs. Runs were once a time to relax but without music, they just made me angry and reminded me of my loss.

With only a month left until we had to pack our things and head back to Hamilton, I knew that if I did not find my iPod it would be gone forever. With as much patience as I could muster up, I searched for several days with no success. Next, I tried to retrace my steps. The last place I remember having my iPod was before heading out onto the water the last day of the regatta. There was so much going on during the three day regatta that I had no idea what I had done with it. Maybe I had left it in a boat? Maybe I had left it on the trailer? In the car? In the yacht club? I could not find it anywhere and I was positive it was not in my car or my house so the only logical explanation for its disappearance was that it was stolen. I left my iPod somewhere during the regatta and someone must have taken it. Someone, somewhere was listening to my music and my playlists. Even though I was furious, I accepted my loss and tried to move on. My family’s jokes, however, didn’t help.

The two hour drive back to Hamilton was miserable without my iPod. Having to deal with commercials, repeated songs, and songs I do not like made the usually painless drive, excruciating. Bitter, hot, and tired from the drive I tried to unload the car as quickly as possible. In my frazzled state I dropped one of my bags, its contents going everywhere. There was a sound, though, that didn’t sound like clothes hitting the ground. I assumed it was a piece of jewelry and so without thinking twice I half-heartedly put the clothes back in the bag. Picking up the last couple of shirts I heard the same sound. When I turned to see what it was I almost screamed with joy. There on the driveway was my iPod. I had no idea how it had gotten in my duffel bag with all my summer clothes but I did not need an explanation. Immediately, I ran inside, updated it, put on my running clothes and went on a run. Although I was not in as good of shape as I should have been in with preseason only days away, I did not care, I was just happy to be listening to my iPod again.

The next thing I needed to do was call my mom and tell her the great news. As soon as I told her she yelled to my siblings, in a sarcastic tone, “Guys! Jane found her stolen iPod!” I was too happy to be bothered by her teasing. But soon I was easily irritated because within the next five minutes I received texts from all of my siblings, even good friends from Chatham, with some sort of sassy remark. From that moment on whenever my family sees me looking for something or hears me saying I have lost something they say, “ Are you sure it is not stolen?”

No comments:

Post a Comment