Monday, May 2, 2011

Personal Narrative #1

Tiara De Boer
1/13/11

My Obsession

My obsession with Asian food is one of things that people notice fairly quickly when they start hanging out with me. It is the one cuisine that I crave constantly and I can have it for every meal for a month straight if I was challenged. I’m talking about Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Korean, and Chinese cuisines. My mom is Mexican and my dad is Dutch so I grew up eating homemade Mexican food every day. I love my mom’s cooking and love Mexican food in general, but if I was given the choice between Mexican and Asian food it would have to be Asian hands down. Since I am half Mexican, I was pretty much spoon-fed salsa ever since I was an infant learning how to walk. That is the reason why my tolerance for spicy food is very high and a lot of foods in the Asian cuisine use spices that satisfy my taste buds.
Back in California there is a Vietnamese restaurant that my dad, brother, and I use to go to every Monday night for dinner. The waiters barely speak English, so you know that the food is good, but they learned our names soon enough since we went so often. My Asian taste buds have rubbed off on a lot of my friends because I introduce them to only the tastiest Thai and Vietnamese restaurants in Boulder and Southern California. A lot of people, especially my family members, have stopped asking me what I feel like eating for dinner as they already know the answer. I’ve been asked many times whether I was part Chinese because of my small eyes and because of my obsession for Chinese and Japanese dishes. I can’t really understand it myself, but all I know is that I want and need Asian food constantly. Currently I’m studying Accounting at the Leeds School of Business and wish to own my very own business one day. It may very well be a high-end Japanese restaurant. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment