Monday, May 2, 2011

Taylor Prentice

4/7/11

Personal Narrative

It is believed that soon the Apocalypse will happen and completely wipe out the human race. This is supposedly predicted by many ancient civilizations from different parts of the world but the Mayan civilization is most commonly cited. It is said that the Mayan’s calendar ends in 2012 and many other clues lead people to believe the end of times will come in this year. There are also many other theories saying the world will end sometime in the 2000’s like the Nostradamus theory or Mother Shipton theory. Both Nostradamus and Mother Shipton were people claiming to see into the future, seeing the demise of mankind. Of course all of these are just myths and hypothetical predictions for the fate of our world. The thought that is accepted by most is that humans have the fate of the world in our hands and it is up to us to save it ourselves or destroy everything. The human race has continued to evolve and discover unbelievable technologies; this is what has given us power. Inevitably this power corrupted humans and got to the point where humans were killing each other over territory, religion, pride, and anything else imaginable. As humans have continuously waged war on each other the technology of war has improved to devastating levels. This was clearly shown in 1945 when America unleashed the power of nuclear weapons on Japan. Weapons have gotten to the point where they can completely devastate a nation in a single blow, but the crazy part is, most nations in the world have the technology to build these tools of destruction. So if the Apocalypse does come about it will most likely be brought upon ourselves in some type of epic, pointless war destroying most everything and everyone.

The point of all this being that for an average person like me there is no way to avoid or stop the Apocalypse. If the human race decides it is time for some outrageous war at least I was there at the end of all things. How I look at the situation is at least it will be exciting while it lasts and the thought that I may have been one of the last people to walk the Earth is honestly pretty remarkable. This of course is not saying that I will just sit there and wait to meet my demise. No, I will fight like everyone else and maybe be one of the few people left after some crazy event wipes out most of the population. This all of course will just be a spur of the moment thing driven mostly by human nature and the will to survive. No planning will be taken for the possible end of the world; I will continue to live how I see fit and if the Apocalypse happens then hopefully I get lucky and struggle through it. The intent of all this being to live a good life and to realize how precious life is while not worry about death even if it is the Apocalypse that kills me.

All the talk about the possible end of the world makes me want to live up life even more just because of the off chance that something could happen to kill everything off. If I’m going to be one of the last people alive then I may as well live life to it’s fullest and see as much of the world as I can, find all that I can to do in the world, and to meet as many people as I can along the way on the adventure of life. On the probable chance that the world won’t end any time soon, at least I lived like it was and took as much as I possibly could from my one shot at life. If I grow old I will have a lot of fascinating stories to tell my kids and grandkids. The talk of the Apocalypse being in my generation doesn’t scare me in the least, it actually does the opposite by making me excited to do as much as I can while I have the opportunity. The thought of the world ending really puts into perspective how lucky the human race is and how valuable life is so don’t waste it cause the world could be destroyed tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment