Sunday, May 1, 2011

Personal Naritive 1

Emily Kempf

Personal Narative

1/12/2011



Starting in sixth grade I developed a passion for writing all kinds of music. My best friend and I shared a dream of becoming famous and getting a record deal which was pretty unrealistic for our age and experience singing. None the less, we continued writing our own songs with the help of a voice teacher until freshman year. By then we had over 200 songs written and recorded on mp3 devices. We also had started in a studio recording our first CD. Unfortunately this is also where we became full blown bratty teenagers and were constantly fighting with our parents so the “duet” fell apart.

Being a freshman in high school also exposed me to many new experiences, heart breaks, and hazardous behavior. By pouring my feelings out in words on paper was like therapy to me. I felt like I could communicate how I was feeling perfectly to people who would read or hear my lyrics. As I learned how to expand my writing skills my songs continued to get better and better because I was experiencing new emotions such as breaking up with my first boyfriend, or fighting with my parents. I continued to write music through high school which helped me immensely when I dealt with an abusive relationship with a boyfriend. Writing music helped me sort out all the confusion I was experiencing. When ever I feel an intense passion or emotion towards something I usually grab a pen and start scribbling down lyrics. Even today going back and reading the songs that I wrote at that time bring back intense emotions because they really captured the pain or feeling that I was going through. The lyrics that I consider my best work are the ones with true feeling put into them, unlike what is typically on the radio now. Writing down my emotions makes it easier to express my self in a calmer and more logical sense. Writing means a lot to me and I have found that I am much more of a creative and personal writer then analytical. Lyrical writing helped me discover who I am today and the emotions that made me the way I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment