Thursday, April 28, 2011

personal narrative 2

Sometimes I dream about my grandma's old house from when I was really little. If it weren't for that dream I probably wouldn't remember anything about her house. But I know that is what the dream is about because I've talked to my parents and brother and sister about it and from what I can describe from the dream it sounds like her house. The prevailing theme of the dream is that it's very dark. There was a lot of dark wood inside her house (what kind I don't know) and I think that the curtains may have been drawn frequently. The darkness pervades everything in my dream. As far as what it actually looks like I can only remember one place. I remember the stairwell and the surrounding area. The stairs and the bannister are made of that dark wood, and at the top of the stairs is the upstairs (which would make sense). I can see the upstairs immediately surrounding the stairs and there is a railing around all of it. I don't remember if the front door is in front of the stairs or not, but there are wooden floors and there is a small open space on the left of the staircase. One other thing that I can't place in the house anywhere is a rocking horse that we could ride. In my dream I can see the horse; not near the staircase, it's just there, and it's understood that it is in the house somewhere. This is another thing that I can verify was in the house because through talking with my family I learned that there was a horse that my brother loved to ride. I can understand why I have a hard time remembering this house because I was very young when my grandma lived there, I was around two, but I don't understand why I remember it at all because I don't remember anything from when I was that young. I don't even remember the house that I lived in at the time, and we lived there longer than my grandma lived at her house. But my family lived with my grandma before I was born so it was a pretty special place to all of them. So maybe I'm able to remember it because I realized that it was someplace special, and my grandma was a special person as well. But I realize that I was only two years old and most likely there was something about the house that I liked. One way or another, I think that for me to remember that house at all shows that there was something more to it than just another house. For that reason I welcome the dreams that I get occasionally of that house.

No comments:

Post a Comment